Stoke Ferry PC – September minutes

Minutes of Stoke Ferry Parish Council Meeting held in the Community Centre At 7.3Opm on Wednesday 3 September 2008

1. Those Attending: Cllr M Ferrie (Chairman), Cllr Mrs T Mann (Vice-Chair), Cllr D Summers, Cllr Mrs S Lansdell-Williams, Cllr M Precey, Cllr Mrs M Leamon, Cllr Mrs Mendoza, Mrs C Hardy (Clerk), 8 Members of the public.

Apologies: Apologies were received from Cllr i Nicholas-Letch and PCSO Sarah Green

2. Minutes of the last Meeting: Cllr Mrs Lansdell-Williams proposed that the Minutes be accepted seconded by Cllr Precey.

Before the meeting progressed further, Cllr Mrs Mann presented the Chairman with a vote of confidence letter signed by members of the PC. The Chairman thanked everyone.

3. Matters Arising:

a) Buckenham Drive – the problem with standing rainwater following the resurfacing of the road has still not been rectified. The Clerk was asked to write to the County Councillor asking what action is being taken, copying the letter to the Member of Parliament.

b) Care Home – a copy of the Protocol Document has still not been received by the Parish Council, the Clerk to chase this up.

c) CCTV Camera – the Clerk read out a note submitted by Cllr Nicholas-Letch.

d) Wretton Road – the Clerk has been informed by the Borough Council and Royal Mail that house names are on their databases. Any further problems with this matter must be addressed to Royal Mail by those people affected.

e) Parking opposite Bus Shelter – the situation will be monitored.

f) Footpath alongside Playing Fields – the hedge has still not been cut back. The Clerk to contact Freebridge asking for their assistance in this matter, if none forthcoming to write again to the occupier of the property.

g) Loose Kerb junction Buckenham Drive/ Wretton Road – Cllr Mrs Leamon is to check this and report back to the Clerk.

h) Street Lights – MHB have carried out a survey and the number of lamp posts and lights is correct for insurance purposes.

i) Anglian Water have investigated the bad smell in Oak Road and Border Road – there has been a fault on the injection line of the odour-dosing tank at the site in Boughton, the problem should be rectified by 5 September.

j) Allotments – A notice has gone in The Pump asking if anyone knows of a small parcel of land which could be used for allotments, also anyone interested in renting an allotment. A suggestion put forward was the land next to the playing fields, the Clerk to write to Grampians asking if they would be willing to ,either rent this to the PC or maybe sell it, also ask the Charity Commission if they know of any land.

k) Trim Trail in Playing Fields – this has now been removed from the insurance policy and a refund of £50.29 had been received.

1) Buckenham Drive – motor bikes no further information received from the police.

m) Parking Issues – the various issues raised at the last meeting were reported to the Traffic Police, the Clerk received a visit from an officer to discuss the points. Parking on footpath is against the law if it is preventing a pedestrian, wheelchair, buggy or pram from passing. Parking permanently in a turning bay is not against the law but is classed as anti-social. Lynn Road parking in general, the road near to the Undertakers will be suitably marked to give a better means of access.

4. CCTV Camera.

See earlier minute under matters arising item c)

5. The Cemetery:

The Clerk read out a short report submitted by Cllr Nicholas-Letch.

6. Litter Bins:

The Clerk reported that following a meeting with the Environmental Protection Officer from the Borough Council, the village will get two litter bins emptied without charge as from 1 April 2009. Any further bin will need to be paid for at £50 per year. During the meeting the bins were inspected the one on The Hill is in need of repair, the one by the village sign to be moved. It was agreed that the bins to be emptied free of charge were the Common and The Hill. The Clerk is to obtain a quotation from Bonnett’s for the repair of the inner compartment of one of the bins and removal of the one by the village sign.

8.15pm Borough Councillor Cohn Sampson joined the meeting

7. Local Government Review:

Following the various meetings and receipt of the Boundary Committee’s Draft Proposals for Unitary Local Government in Norfolk, the PC to decide which option they would prefer either a single unitary Norfolk authority including Lowestoft, the wedge consisting of Norwich, Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft, and the doughnut a Norwich Unitary Authority. The preferred option seems to be the Status Quo. BC Sampson passed a crib sheet to the Clerk setting out Key Issues. Following considerable discussion it was agreed this crib sheet to be circulated to all councillors in order that they may let the Clerk have their views by next week,. The Clerk will then prepare a submission to be sent to The Boundary Committee by 26 September 2008.

8. Resignation of Councillor/Appointment of Signatory:

A letter had been received from Malcolm Mycock resigning as a Parish Councillor; this has been acknowledged thanking him for his hard work as a Councilor. No request for an election had been received by the BC, therefore the PC must co-opt someone as soon as possible.

The Chairman proposed that Cllr Mrs Mann (Vice Chair) be a signatory for the cheques, this was seconded by Cllr Mrs Leamon. Cllr Mrs Mann agreed to become a signatory.

9. Planning:

Approved by Parish

Extension and alterations to existing dwelling and replacement garage at Ivy Farm Cottage 86 Wretton Road

Construction of one dwelling and garage at Plot 2 The Hollow

Two storey extension to the rear of existing dwelling and new conservatory at Maltese House Lynn Road

Approved by the Borough

Re-instatement of dormer windows at Park House High Street

Change of use from C2 to C3 at Jamadani 3 Greatmans Way

10. Accounts for Approval

Direct Debit payment to c-on Energy £39.40 – Lighting – July

MHB Services – £65.78 – Lighting Maintenance August/September

Mr Gerald King – £240.00 – Cleaning Village

Mrs C Hardy – £255.00 – Salary for August 2008

Mrs C Hardy – £49.07 – Expenses for August 2008

Mazars -£141.00 – External Audit

Statement of Account as at 14 August 2008 – Total Receipts – £9807.48, less Payments to date £4356.15

Balance in Bank £5309.22.

Un-presented cheque £37.89.

Cllr Precey proposed approval for payment seconded by Cllr Mrs Mendoza

11. Correspondence:

Mazars successful completion of external audit

BCKLWN – Discontinuation Notice for Parish Agreements – not renewing Licence for Street Naming &


West Norfolk Citizens Advice Bureau requesting a donation – agreed £25

Stoke Ferry Playing Fields Association – requesting a dog waste bin for the playing fields * not agreed

Christopher Fraser House of Commons – thanking the villagers for signing petition for reduced speed limits

outside schools

NCAPTC – AGM of Norfolk Association of Local Councils to take place 20 September

NCAPTC – Requesting nominations for The Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service (groups)

Essex & Suffolk Water – Denver & Wash Stakeholders Meeting 26 September

12. Councillors Other Business:

Cllr Mrs Leamon – the footpath between Wretton Road and Buckenham Drive overgrown with weeds – the Clerk to report to Clean-Up

Cur Ferrie – parking at the Village Hall becoming a problem again. The Clerk to write to Wells Homes to ask if they could open up a larger area for parking until they start work on the site.

Parish Emergency Plans – Cllr Mann to look at the documents received to see if viable to produce a plan for the village

The BCKLWN has asked for the views of the PC in respect of a street numbering scheme for Furlong Road/Furlong Drove. Following considerable discussion no definitive decision could be made, the Clerk to inform the Borough accordingly.

Cllr Mrs Lansdell-Williams volunteered to cut back the weeds/nettles by the litter bin and dog waste bin on The Common.

13. Public Other Business

* Hedge opposite the Old Wood Yard is now becoming overgrown. The Clerk to approach Highways who carried out the work last year.

* Calming measures Buckenham Drive – as reported earlier Highways say they are unable to help in this matter. All matters of speeding should be reported to the police at the time of any problems.

* Traffic for the Sugar Beet Factory still entering Buckenham Drive. The Clerk to approach Highways again asking for “Beet Factory” signs, also contact the Factory regarding their change of address

* Stoke Fest 08 – concern was raised relating to the 13 Bands with alcohol licence taking place on the Playing Fields on 13 September, was sufficient insurance in place for this event. The Clerk to write to the Playing Fields Association requesting they check sufficient insurance cover is in place for the event.

* Manhole cover protruding above ground level in pavement in Wretton Road – to be reported to Highways

* Light is out on the Dukes Head

There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.50pm

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be on 15 October 2008 commencing at 7.30pm.

Parish Clerk

Leave a Reply