January Gardening 2021

None of us could have predicted what would happen in 2020, and many more people turned to gardening as our gardens became a much-needed sanctuary, a space away from the madness of what was going on in the world, and something to do with the extra time for those on furlough. As we head into 2021 the world is still a mad place, however there is now a vaccination, and hope for the future. I hope that people continue to enjoy their gardens and be able to spend time growing and enjoying nature. Not just because its my job, but also because I appreciate the mental health benefits (and physical) that I get personally from contact with the earth.
Brexit also looms on the horizon, none of us are still sure if a deal will be done (although by the time this is published, we will know the answer). We don’t know how any deal or no-deal will affect the products we import and export. However, there is one thing that’s looking very positive with our break from Europe and that’s our use of pesticides. A report from PAN UK just came in my mailbox stating that the UK government are now actively seeking to greatly reduce pesticide use by 2022! (The rest of Europe are aiming for 2030) This is fantastic news for the environment and biodiversity. Here at P&R Garden Supplies new products will be hitting our shelves in January, we have lots of eco-friendly alternatives hitting our shelves too. Reduction in plastics of packaging, more recyclable and biodegradable products, more organic & chemical free solutions to pests, diseases and weeds. We will be marking our shelves to highlight these alternative products.
Many of you who are new to gardening most likely think that there isn’t much you can do in your garden this month. Going by how I have filled half of the article without writing much about gardening this is to an extent true, you can’t plant in frozen ground! Here’s a list of tasks you CAN do this month when the weather allows:
• Cut back old foliage of ornamental grasses and perennials such as sedums.
• Winter Prune Wisteria
• Purchase and start chitting seed potatoes, in mid/ late January we will expect our delivery of seed potatoes (earlies, seconds & mains) from our Scottish supplier.
• Remove old and diseased Hellebore leaves to make the new blooms more visible as they emerge this spring.
• Remove yellowing leaves from your winter brassicas as they are no use to the plant and may harbour pests and diseases.
• Prune apple trees and pear trees if you haven’t done so already as this is best done whilst they are dormant. (Leave plums, cherries and apricots unpruned until the summer as pruning these fruit trees now will make them susceptible to silver leaf infections.)
• Start forcing Rhubarb by placing an old bucket over the crown
• Plant new soft fruit bushes and canes (as long as the ground is not frozen)
• If you shred your Christmas tree the resulting mulch is the perfect top dressing for acid loving plants such as Rhododendron, Acer and Blueberries.
• If you are over wintering plants in the greenhouse Botrytis (grey mould) can be a problem. To reduce the risk increase air flow by opening all the doors and vents on mild days. In the event of signs of disease remove the plant to prevent spreading.
• It is cold and frosty for the birds as well, so it’s a good time to look after wildlife. In addition to putting out food, birdbaths can easily freeze over which deprives the birds of a much-needed source of water.
Whatever you are planning for your garden this year we will always be here to help you achieve your perfect sanctuary!
Rachel Sobiechowski BSc(Hons) P&R Garden Supplies, Fengate Drove, Brandon, IP27 0PW
01842 814800 www.p-rgardensupplies.co.uk

West Dereham Parish Council Meeting December

Page 1 of 5
Linda Arthur
Clerk to West Dereham Parish Council
Email: clerk@westderehamparishcouncil.uk
https://west-dereham-parish-council.norfolkparishes.gov.uk
Tel: 07391 101835
Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting
WEST DEREHAM PARISH COUNCIL
————————————————————————————————————————————–
DATE: Thursday 3rd December 2020
TIME: 7:00pm
PLACE: Virtual Meeting using Zoom
PRESENT: Lorraine Hunt (Chair), Nick Drew, Stuart Glover, Keith Gore, Susan Pepper (Councillors)
Linda Arthur (Clerk)
Andy Challen (Chair Village Hall Management Committee)
PUBLIC: 1
—————————————————————————————————————————
1. To Receive Apologies for Absence
Apologies were received from Nick Glover (due to ill health).
2. To receive declarations of interest on agenda items
There were none
3. Notice regarding use of social media, audio recording of Parish Council meeting and invitation for public contribution
LH asked if anyone present would be filming, recording, blogging or tweeting during the meeting. There was no response from the members of the public on-line. LH noted that the meeting is audio recorded to assist the Parish Clerk in the writing of the minutes.
4. To approve the minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on 5th December 2020
The minutes had previously been circulated. An amendment was made to item 12 paragraph 3, to add “arranged by local residents”. The amended version was unanimously agreed by the Council. LH as Chair will sign the minutes at the earliest opportunity.
5. To report progress on items not on the agenda from the last meeting (Clerk’s report)
5.1 Highway and Footpath defects
LA reported that she had been asked to report and follow up six different highways and footpath defects, all of which had been reported to Highways department. Highways have agreed to make reparations on all reported defects.
LH confirmed that Highways had attended and markings had been made to indicate where works were required.
5.2 Additional Signage- A134 at Lime Kiln Road and Bath Road Junctions.
LA reported that she had completed the application to the Parish Partnership fund for two new signs. The amount of the grant applied for is £770, being 50% of the total cost of the signs. There was a discussion about the nature, wording, location and number of signs required. It was agreed that two
Page 2 of 5
Linda Arthur
Clerk to West Dereham Parish Council
Email: clerk@westderehamparishcouncil.uk
https://west-dereham-parish-council.norfolkparishes.gov.uk
Tel: 07391 101835
signs were required on the A134 indicating that routes along Bath Road and Lime Kiln Road are not suitable for HGVs. These to be placed on the A134 a distance before the entrance to these roads, to warn HGVs before they may turn. LH asked LA to contact Cllr Long and ask for 50% funding for the project, to eliminate any cost to the PC. LA agreed to contact the Parish Partnership and revise the precise nature of the signs required, as well as the funding source for the remaining 50% cost of the signs, once confirmation has been obtained from Cllr Long. LA requested for one of the Parish Councillors to send a map showing the precise location that is needed for the signs, so that Highways and the Parish Partnership can be informed, which was agreed.
5.3 Barclays Bank
LA reminded the PC that she was still unable to obtain bank statements from Barclays Bank. These are needed to provide the PC with financial reports at the PC meetings. Although LA had completed a mandate form, this had to be agreed and minuted before it could be signed and sent to Barclays.
5.4 External Audit
LA reported that she had completed the statutory requirements for the external audit by PKF Littlejohn.
5.5 Free Visors from Norfolk ALC
LA reported that she had arranged for 200 free visors to be delivered, for distribution to the village hall and other organisations around the parish. ND had offered to have them delivered to his premises for distribution.
5.6 Accessibility
LA reminded the PC that legislation had been introduced in September 2020 to make all documents and the PC website fully accessible. LA is currently altering all PC documents and policies to accessible format, as they become eligible for review.
5.7 Councillor Training
LA had received a request from SP for Councillor training. LA informed the PC that the cost of the two-day remote course was £40, which could be taken from this year’s training budget.
6. Reports
6.1 Chair’s Report.
LH advised the PC that she had received and accepted Tom Foy’s resignation as Parish Councillor and Vice-Chair. LH thanked TF for his contribution over the years that he had served the Parish Council. LH asked LA to start the process of recruiting a new Parish Councillor.
6.2 Handyman’s Report.
The Clerk reported on behalf of the handyman. The Sam2 speed monitor has been moved this month, as agreed. He has trimmed the bushes on the footpath across the field from the Village Hall to the Row, as well as other tasks around the Parish.
6.4 Police Report.
There was no report available.
6.5 Glazewing Report.
LA reported that she had been communicating with Glazewing, following an incident involving a vehicle on route to the recycling plant. This vehicle had collided with a bollard, removing it completely from the
Page 3 of 5
Linda Arthur
Clerk to West Dereham Parish Council
Email: clerk@westderehamparishcouncil.uk
https://west-dereham-parish-council.norfolkparishes.gov.uk
Tel: 07391 101835
pavement. The response from Glazewing was that Highways had been informed and that they would be repairing the damage.
LA also reported that she had received reports of vehicle traffic to Glazewing, out of hours. This included reports of such traffic at 5.30 am. Glazewing have asked for identification of all vehicles, otherwise they are unable to investigate, however in the dark at 5.30 am, this is virtually impossible. LA has notified Glazewing, who assure the PC that traffic is only received during their operational hours of 7 am to 7 pm.
KG reported that he had seen a McIntyre HGV in Bath Road at 10 am on 26.11.20. LA agreed to contact Glazewing with this information.
LH asked SP if there were any meetings planned with Glazewing. SP confirmed that there were not.
6.6 Village Hall Report.
The Chair of the Village Hall Management Committee reported that the VHMC was committed to opening in a safe manner when Covid 19 restrictions allow. Track and trace was in place, as well as a bar screen. A stock check had been made and all out of date stock identified and disposed of. The VHMC hope to open the Village Hall before Christmas, but this depends on restrictions at the time. New doors have been installed. An inventory of equipment is currently underway. The chair asked that any parishioner with bookkeeping experience may consider volunteering as treasurer for the hall, as well as other management committee posts.
The VHMC Chair gave a financial report, which VHMC will update when trading is able to commence.
7. To Elect a Vice Chair
KG proposed that Nick Drew should take the post of vice-chair. This was seconded by Stuart Glover and unanimously agreed.
8. Finance Report
8.1 To Consider Financial Statements for November 2020.
The Clerk had previously circulated the cash flow and reported a cash balance of £ 29,456.41 as at 30th November. The Clerk reported that expenditure had totalled £2,157.49
8.2 Cheque Payments for Approval for November 2020.
The Clerk itemised the payments that were now due. All were unanimously agreed.
Cheque No
Payee
Net
VAT
Gross
Remarks 45 101196 PKF Littlejohn £200.00 £40.00 £240.00 External Audit
46
101197
R. Poole
£114.30
£0.00
£114.30
Handyman’s Payment &Travel Nov20 47 101190 Cruso & Wilkin £300.00 £60.00 £360.00 Advice on farm tenancy
48
101199
Limetree Marketing
£37.50
£0.00
£37.50
Annual Report Booklet 2015 49 101200 P.King £201.14 £0.00 £201.14 Parish Clerk’s Salary & expenses Nov 20
50
101201
L. Arthur
£506.95
£0.00
£506.95
Parish Clerk’s Salary & expenses Nov 20 51 101202 HMRC £112.60 £0.00 £112.60 Parish Clerk’s PAYE & NIC
52
101203
Holly Landscapes
£487.50
£97.50
£585.00
Ground Maintenance – October 2020
Total
1959.99
£197.50
£2,157.49
Page 4 of 5
Linda Arthur
Clerk to West Dereham Parish Council
Email: clerk@westderehamparishcouncil.uk
https://west-dereham-parish-council.norfolkparishes.gov.uk
Tel: 07391 101835
8.3 To agree the budget for the financial year 2021/22
All Councillors had been circulated the budget. Following a discussion the budget was unanimously agreed.
8.4 To agree the precept for the financial year 2021/22
LH proposed that there should be no change to the precept and it would remain at £17,403.74. This was unanimously agreed.
8.5 To agree the simple servicing authority for Barclays to change to the new clerk
Unanimously agreed.
8.6 To agree expenditure for new website
LA provided a quotation of £500, which was unanimously agreed.
8.3 To agree training contribution for Clerk’s CiLCA training and qualification
LH proposed that a contribution of £275 should be made, thereby reducing the Clerk’s personal contribution to the training to £375, which was unanimously agreed. LA thanked the PC for this welcome contribution.
9. Proposal for the Recreation Ground St Andrews Close
The Parishioners who were proposing the recreation ground gave a report on the survey that had been sent out. There were 75 replies, of which 73 gave a positive response. LH asked LA to contact BCKLWN to check that the plans are acceptable. LH also suggested that a working committee should be formed to progress the project.
10. To agree Grounds Maintenance schedule prior to invitation of tender applications
LH confirmed that a timeline had been agreed. This is to get a tender document finalised by the end of December so that tenders can be invited in January and agreed at the February meeting.
11. To comment on Planning Applications received
11.1 To receive results of applications
There were none
11.2 To receive new applications and comment.
There were none
12. To consider Parish Council Internal Affairs & Policies
There were none to be reviewed.
13. Correspondence
ND asked if any progress had been made on previous correspondence regarding the natural burial ground. LH asked LA to check the progress on this.
14. To agree agenda items for the next Parish Council agenda (Thursday 4th February at 7pm)
KG asked that allotments should be added to the agenda.
Page 5 of 5
Linda Arthur
Clerk to West Dereham Parish Council
Email: clerk@westderehamparishcouncil.uk
https://west-dereham-parish-council.norfolkparishes.gov.uk
Tel: 07391 101835
15. Open Forum for Public Participation
SG mentioned that a parishioner had cut the verge and dyke between the village hall and the school and that it was an excellent job. LH asked LA to send a letter of thanks to the parishioner. LA asked the Parish Councillors to provide her with contact details for this parishioner so that this request could be carried out.
SP asked the PC to attend to the mud in Lime Kiln Road. LH suggested that LA should write to the landowner concerned. LA requested contact details.
ND mentioned that a house had been repainted in Church Road and wondered if planning permission was required. LA agreed to ask planning if this was the case
Meeting closed at 8.15 pm ___________________________ (Chairperson)
___________________________ (Date)