Another delicious recipe from the Village Kitchen
325 g/ 12 oz cold cooked turkey or chicken in bite-sized pieces
75 g/ 3 oz butter
1 small chopped onion
2 lean rashers of bacon, chopped
50 g/ 2 oz button mushrooms
2 level tablespoons of wholemeal or white flour
Salt and pepper
300 ml/ 1/2 pint of chicken or turkey stock
3 tablespoons of dry sherry
Triangles of toast
1. Fry chicken or turkey in hot butter until golden brown. Drain meat and place in a hot serving dish; keep warm.
2. Fry onion and bacon in same pan for about 2 minutes then add the mushrooms and cook for a further 2 minutes.
3. Stir in the flour and a shake of salt and pepper. Cook for 1 minute.
4. Add stock and simmer for 2 minutes.
5. Add sherry and bring just to the boil. Pour the completed sauce over the turkey or chicken.
6. Sprinkle on chopped parsley and serve with toast triangles.
To make chicken or turkey stock:
1 Place the carcass of the chicken or turkey in a large saucepan with plenty of water, a sliced onion, a piece of carrot, leak, celery, parsley stalks or any vegetable stock or peelings that would otherwise get thrown out.
2 Add two or three pepper corns or a bay leaf.
3 Simmer gently for at least an hour.
4 Strain off the liquid, let it cool then refrigerate or freeze.
* Giblet stock is made in the same way.