A suggestion for using up your christmas left-overs
The Village Kitchen
Some ideas for using up left-over turkey and ham after your Christmas lunch..
Turkey & Ham loaf
Delicious to eat hot or cold and which can be made from left-overs.
325 g/ 12 oz cooked turkey
225 g/ 8 oz ham
1 small chopped onion
2 teaspoons of salt & pepper mix
1 large beaten egg
1 teacup of fresh breadcrumbs
Stock, if necessary
Browned, dried breadcrumbs for coating
1. Mince turkey, ham and onion
2. Add seasonings, beaten egg and fresh breadcrumbs. Use stock if mixture is very dry.
3. Pack into a greased tin and cover with foil.
4. Cook in a moderate oven, Gas 4, 350 degrees F, 180 degrees C for an hour
5. Turn out and coat while hot with browned breadcrumbs
To make breadcrumbs:
1. Lay slices of stale bread in a dry roasting tin and place in the bottom of the oven while something else is cooking. Remove when dry and brittle.
2. Crush the bread with a rolling pin (If really dry, should keep in an air tight jar for months) and shallow or deep fry to get the required brown texture.
3. For fresh breadcrumbs use semi-fresh bread and crumb using an electric coffee grinder, blender or food processor or by hand using a grate. Note! Most sliced bread is unsuitable because of its foam plastic nature.