War Memorial Gary Trouton

Stoke Ferry Parish Coucnil meeting

February 2011


Minutes of Stoke Ferry Parish Council Meeting held in The Community Centre

At 7.30pm on Wednesday 12 January 2011

Those Attending: Cllr Mrs T Mann (Chairman), Cllr Mrs M Leamon, Cllr D Summers, Cllr Mrs R Mendoza, Cllr J Nicholas-Letch, Cllr Mrs S Lansdell-Williams, Cllr M Precey, Mrs C Hardy (Clerk) and 6 members of the public.

Apologies: Apologies were received from Cllr Mrs Markwell, Borough Councillor Sampson and PCSO Sara Green

Election of Chairman:

Cllr Mrs T Mann advised the meeting that she was resigning from the post of Chairman, therefore asked for nominations for chairman. Cllr Mrs Lansdell-Williams proposed Cllr Nicholas-Letch seconded by Cllr Mrs Leamon - Cllr Nicholas-Letch advised he did not wish to stand as Chairman.

Cllr Mrs Leamon proposed Cllr Summers seconded by Cllr Precey.

There were 5 votes for this proposal and 1 abstention. Cllr Summers therefore appointed as Chairman

Cllr Summers took the Chair

Election of Vice-Chairman:

Cllr Mrs Lansdell-Williams had also tendered her resignation as Vice-Chairman. The Clerk advised the meeting that as there were only three more meetings prior to the Elections in May, she had been advised by NALC that it was not essential to elect a Vice-Chairman at this point.

Minutes of the last Meeting: Cllr Mrs Mendoza proposed acceptance, seconded by Cllr Mrs Mann.

Matters Arising:

a) Fence/Footpath near The Moorings/The Old Bull - the Clerk informed the meeting she had received a letter from Development Services advising they are in receipt of an informal request application for this land. The applicant is proposing the land be used in connection with fishing lakes, narrow boats and touring caravans.

b) The Cemetery - a response has been received from the Probation Service to say the paint will be returned when they are next in the area - this had still not been received

c) Loose Kerb Buckenham Drive - this has now been repaired

d) Bridge Road Breaking Up/Sinking - this appears to be sinking further - the Clerk to approach Highways again

e) Hedge Bridge Road - Cllr Summers has not been able to cut this back due to the adverse weather conditions but will do so as soon as possible.

f) Buckenham Drive Potholes near Vion - will be reported to Highways again

g) Wretton Road Broken Manhole Cover - this has now been repaired

h) Parish Council's Responsible for Public Footpaths/Bridleways - At the moment nothing has been decided as to the future maintenance of these areas. Currently there is no way that this could be funded from the Precept.

i) Stoke Ferry Youth Club - the Clerk informed the meeting all monies have been paid to the Youth Club to cover receipts received, the remaining monies have been returned to NALC

j) Staggered Gate at Playing Fields - Cllr Mrs Leamon advised this was being dealt with

k) Spigot Mortar Mountings - Cllr Precey advised that these are actually near the Moorings, a note will be placed in The Pump asking if anyone knows about them.

Grit Bin Placement

The Clerk advised the meeting that this had now been placed halfway down Bradfield Place on the grass verge, as advised by Highways. She also advised she had received a complaint from a resident about the siting. It was agreed no further action be taken.

Approval of Budget for 2011/2012

A letter had been handed to the meeting from Little Oaks Pre-School Committee requesting financial help towards refurbishment costs, in particular new carpets. Following considerable discussion it was felt that in the current financial conditions the Parish Council could not accede to this request.

Cllr Precey proposed the Parish Council are not able to give any help at the moment, seconded by Cllr Mrs Mann. 5 Votes for the Proposal and 2 Abstentions. The Proposal was carried.

Following a meeting held on 6 January between Cllrs Nicholas-Letch, Mrs Mann and Mrs Markwell, Cllr Nicholas-Letch presented a schedule of figures to the meeting.

The Clerk/Responsible Financial Officer advised the meeting that she had no part in these discussions, was not invited to the meeting. She also advised the meeting there were a few points she wished to raise - items such as Purchase of Grit Bins and Collection of Dog Waste had now been placed as separate items and not under Miscellaneous. She tried to explain that Grit Bins are not and will not be an annual expenditure and such items are normally included under Miscellaneous, all payments entered in the Official Accounts Book have a description of what the payment represented. In the figures presented to the meeting by Cllr Nicholas-Letch, the total figure for Grit Bins, Dog Waste and Miscellaneous are shown as £1092.12 whereas the Clerk/RFO had recommended £1200.00.

It was also noted that the sum of £500 for Contingency had been removed. This sum is there as a cushion should all other expenses go over budget, all figures are Estimates.

Cllr Precey asked why the sum of £500 towards payment for future Elections had been removed. He felt that, although the Parish Council would not be charged until 2012/2013 it would be prudent to begin building a sum in the Budget for these costs. Should the Precept be capped in future years there would be insufficient funds for this expenditure.

Cllr Nicholas-Letch stated he thought it would be a good idea for a three monthly statement of income and outgoings to be prepared. The Clerk/RFO reminded the meeting that on the instructions of the Internal Auditor a Statement of Accounts is presented to all councillors every month.

The Clerk/RFO had sought the advice of NALC and had been advised that because a particular sum is in the budget, it does not have to be spent, also it is far more prudent to have money left in the bank account at the end of the financial year than none at all.

Cllr Mrs Mann felt that Budgets are just that - an Estimate of what the expenditure will be for the next financial year.

Cllr Mrs Lansdell-Williams proposed that the sum of £500 for Elections be Removed from the Budget, seconded by Cllr Nicholas-Letch. 2 Votes for, 3 Votes Against, 1 Abstention - Proposal Lost.

Contingency - no decision or discussion took place on this - therefore this will be left out of the Budget as shown in the figures submitted by Cllr Nicholas-Letch..

Clerks Salary (request for increase in hours) - in the figures submitted by Cllr Nicholas-Letch it is shown that no increase to be included in the Budget. As this is being discussed following the end of this meeting, the current figure in the budget will remain.

The Clerk/RFO referred to a quotation from CGM to add the cutting of the hedge in the new part of The Cemetery asking for approval to confirm with CGM to add this to the contract. Cllr Nicholas-Letch stated that he would not approve this as the figure had been included in the budget without discussion. This would have been discussed at the last meeting but as seen in the previous minutes the Draft Budget was not discussed.

The remaining Councillors agreed to this quotation being accepted.

Precept Request for 2011/2012:

Cllr Nicholas-Letch proposed requesting a Precept of £11,333.00 an increase of 3% seconded by Cllr Mrs Mann - 4 Votes for 3 Abstentions. Carried

The Clerk/Responsible Financial Officer, reported, as stated above, had no part in the discussions. In some instances her advice has not been taken on board and therefore cannot be held responsible should the figures proposed not be sufficient.

Proposed Power and Recycling Centre as King's Lynn

Cllr Precey felt this should be put to bed for the time being. The Clerk informed the meeting there was to be an Exhibition at Downham Market Town Hall on Friday 28 January from 9.00 - 16.00 if anyone wished to attend.


Approval of Application by the Borough - Construction of new highway access at Highbury House Lynn Road

Received Post Issue of Agenda

Amendment of 5 No affordable dwellings with associated parking and landscaping (amendment to application 10/00080/FM) land at Manor Road

Accounts for Approval

E-on - Direct Debit - £45.70 - Lighting December

MHB Services Ltd - £65.78 - Lighting Maintenance - Dec/Jan

James Bradfield School - £13.14 - Hire of Hall - December

Mrs C Hardy - £302.04 - Salary and Expenses for December

Statement of Account as at 31 December 2010 - Balance in Bank as at 31 December - Community Account £537.06, Business Saver Account £6921.70. A total of £7458.76.

Cllr Mrs Leamon proposed approval for payment seconded by Cllr Mrs Mendoza


H Brett & Son - request for additional inscription on Memorial for Geoffrey Gordon Allen - approved

Email from Mrs Gostling re mud on the road in School Lane, River Drove and The Common from sugar beet lorries. It was felt this was a police matter as School Lane is a Highway Road - it will be brought up at the SNAP Meeting tomorrow evening.

Norwich and West Norfolk Citizens Advice Bureau requesting financial support - no donation to be sent

Norfolk Police - Invitation to attend the Open Meeting to discuss their budget for 2011/12 on 20 January 2011.

Norfolk County Council - Children's Services re amalgamation of Methwold High School and Hockwold Primary school from September 2011.

NALC - Initial Training for Clerks and Councils in February and March

Councillors Other Business:

Cllr Mrs Lansdell-Williams advised she had not included the full information on her Notes of the Personnel Committee Meeting held on the 4 January - the Clerk thanked her and would add the information.

The residents of a bungalow in Fairfield Road are putting large boulders on the grass verge - a letter will be sent asking them not to do so.

Cllr Summers advised the meeting there will be a Public Open Meeting of the Village Hall Committee on Thursday evening 13 January at 6.30pm, it was hoped as many people as possible will attend.

Cllr Mrs Mendoza advised the meeting she has resigned as Parish Council Governor at James Bradfield School. Cllr Mrs Leamon would be prepared to take this on, the Clerk will make contact with the Headmaster.

Cllr Nicholas-Letch asked if anything further had been heard regarding the resurfacing of Furlong Road/Drove, he advised he would make contact with Highways.

Cllr Mrs Leamon advised she had seen workman on the Manor Road building site sweeping mud into the drains. She will speak to them if she sees it happening again.

Public Other Business

Mud on Roads around the village, farmers should clear the roads every day and not leave them covered in mud. This is a police matter and will be reported to the SNAP meeting on Thursday evening.

Had any more been heard relating to lights being turned off at night - nothing further at the moment.

Football Clubs pay £150 per season for the use of the Playing Fields

No knowledge of any meeting regarding the staggered gate at the Playing Fields - Cllr Mrs Leamon advised this was being dealt with

Buckenham Drive - tree roots are causing a problem in the footpath near property 48 - will be reported to Highways

Potholes reported on the junction of Buckenham Drive and Wretton Road also outside Vion's entrance. Will be reported to Highways

Dog Mess on Footpaths around the village - the Clerk has asked for another notice to be placed in The Pump.

There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.05pm

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be on Wednesday 9 February 2011 commencing at 7.30pm

Parish Clerk

Copyright remains with independent content providers where specified, including but not limited to Village Pump contributors. All rights reserved.