Passionate About Plants
Paul sets us all a Quiz to test us on his previous articles
January Prize Quiz
This month I have decided to do something a little different, something that tests your gardening knowledge, with the chance to win a £5.00 HTA National Garden Gift Voucher, redeemable at either Quaymount or any good garden centre.
1. What do the letters RHS stand for?
2. What colour flowers does the shrub known as the winter flowering 'Forsythia' have?
3. Name the dessert apple that I recommended for the north of England, in one of my articles as the best substitute for Cox Orange Pippin?
4. Camillia sinensis can be used to make which drink?
5. Ladybirds are good at eating some of our garden pests - Name one?
6. Plants that shed their leaves in winter are called?
7. Eucalyptus are native to which continent?
8. Aconitum napellus, was used by Cadfeal as a herbal rub but unfortunately it is a deadly poison if taken internally. What is its common name?
9. What do the letters HTA stand for?
10. What is the botanical name for Witch Hazel?
11. The Orchid lavender flowered Catherine Woodberry is a 1960's variety of what herbaceous plant?
12. When the cells inside a seed swell and start growing it is called ...........?
13 My grandfather grew Nicotiana tabacum on his allotment during the Second World War. What did he use it for?
14. Compost is made as J.I. numbers 1, 2 and 3, what does J.I. stand for?
15. Natural or induced genetic change, often exhibited as a variegated shoot or flower from the parent plant is known as a?
16. Quercus rubra is the North American species of which native English tree?
17. Cannabis is an example of a hardy annual, what does hardy annual mean?
18. Aluminium sulphate in the soil affects the colour of what genus of plant?
19. Foxglove is a poisonous plant including the smoke from burning its foliage. What is the name of this poison which is used in medicine?
20. Crocus sativus provides us with a colouring used in the kitchen - which is it?
Please hand your complete entries to Quaymount Nurseries no later than 14th January,
2009. Please include your Name and Telephone Number. The prize of a £5.00 HTA gift
voucher will be awarded to the first correct entry drawn by a member of staff at
Quaymount Nurseries from all the correct entries submitted. Answers and the name of
the winner will be published in the February edition of the Village Pump.