Scalloped New or Old Potatoes
Another use for all those lovely new potatoes
450g / 1 lb new potatoes scrubbed
125 g/ 4 oz mushrooms, chopped
15 g/ 1/2 oz butter
125 g/ 4 oz cooked ham, cut in small pieces
50 g/ 2 oz butter
50 g/ 2 oz flour
1 teaspoon made mustard
A grating of nutmeg
600 ml / 1 pint milk
50 g/ 2 0z grated cheese
1. Steam potatoes or cook them over a low heat in very little water. Then drain and slice.
2. Meanwhile, chop mushrooms and fry for 1 minute in the 15 g/ 2 oz butter.
3. Make sauce. Melt butter, stir in flour and cook for 1 minute.
4. Stir in mustard and nutmeg. The add milk gradually, stirring as sauce thickens and simmer for 3 minutes.
5. Stir in cheese and reheat but do not boil.
6. Arrange slices of potato overlapping in buttered, shallow oven dish.
7. Cover with mushrooms and ham.
8. Pour over the cheese sauce.
9. Cook at top of a moderately hot oven, Gas 6, 400 degreesF, 200 degreesC, for 15 minutes.
The Village kitchen