For all those menfolk bringing in the harvest, give them this treat from The Village kitchen
1 large onion, chopped
15g / 1/2 oz butter
125g / 4oz fresh wholemeal or white breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon dry sage*
3 tablespoons milk*
50g / 2 oz grated cheese
125g / 4oz cooked ham, chopped
2 large eggs, separated
Pinch of mustard powder
*Alternatively use 1 packet of sage and onion stuffing prepared in a large bowl as per instruction.
1. Fry onion in butter until soft
2. Put breadcrumbs n large bowl, mix in sage and fried onion, adding tablespoons of milk to moisten or prepare the packet of sage & onion stuffing.
3. Stir in cheese, ham, egg yolks, some freshly ground black pepper and the mustard powder. Mix well.
4. Beat egg whites until stiff and fold them in lightly with a metal spoon.
5. Turn mixture into a greased oven-proof dish.
6. Bake in a moderately hot oven (Gas 5, 375 degreesF, 190 degreesC) for 35 minutes.
Serve with a lightly cooked green vegetable or a green salad
The Village Kitchen