A delicous recipe for mushroom soup - just the job for the forthcoming cold snap...
25g / 1oz butter
1 large onion, finely chopped
25g / 1oz green pepper, finely chopped
1 small clove garlic, crushed
125g / 4oz mushrooms, chopped small
Salt and black pepper
2 dessert spoons flour
450ml / 3/4 pint chicken stock
450ml / 3/4 pint milk
1. Melt butter in a heavy-based pan which has a lid. Fry onion, green pepper and garlic until beginning to soften but not going brown.
2. Add mushrooms and toss together over a low heat. Add salt and pepper taking care not to over salt if stock is well seasoned.
3. Put lid on pan and leave on low heat for 5 to 10 minutes so that vegetables 'sweat'. If using old mushrooms 5 minutes is enough. Do not let them catch. An asbestos mat under the pan might help.
4. Stir in flour, add stock and bring to boil. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Add milk and reheat. Sprinkle on chopped parsley, stir and serve.
The Village Kitchen