THE VILLAGE KITCHEN'S EXCELLENT RECIPE For AN XMAS Pud
Try this delicious Christmas pudding recipe
Makes 4 puddings weighing approximately 575g / 1 1/4 lbs each, but larger puddings can be made if needed. Alternatively, by carefully reducing the quantities of ingredients, just one or two puddings can be made.
Always made in October to allow time to mature. Will keep well for at least a year.
225g / 8oz butter
275g / 10oz stale wholemeal or white breadcrumbs
125g / 4oz plain flour
1/2 teaspoon ground mace
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
225g / 8oz Demerara sugar
125g / 4oz chopped candied orange peel
50g / 2oz chopped candied lemon peel
25g / 1oz chopped candied citron peel
125g / 4oz chopped glace cherries
225g / 8oz currants
450g / 1lb chopped raisins
75g / 3oz blanched almonds, chopped
1 grated carrot
6 beaten eggs
2 tablespoons golden syrup or black treacle
300ml / 1/2 pint ale
1. Grease four 600ml / 1 pint pudding basins, or two 1.2litre / 2 pint basins
2. Put butter in a warm place to melt
3. Place breadcrumbs in a very large mixing bowl or crock
4. Sift in the flour and spices
5. Mix in sugar
6. Add chopped peels and cherries
7. Add currants and raisins and mix well
8. Add almonds and carrot to the mixture and mix well
9. Stir in beaten eggs and golden syrup or black treacle. Mix well
10. Add to the mixture, the melted butter and ale and stir in well
11. Divide the mixture equally between the basins
12. Cover tightly with a layer of greased, greaseproof paper and then foil
13. Place in a steamer, two-thirds full of boiling water or in a saucepan of boiling water. Water should come half-way up the sides of the basins.
14. Steam 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Water should not be allowed to go off the boil. When it needs replenishing, use boiling water. If making two larger puddings, steam for 7 to 8 hours.
15. Remove puddings from saucepan and take off the foil and paper. Allow to cool.
16. When puddings are quite cold, cover with fresh greased, greaseproof paper and foil. Store in a cool place.
17. Steam again for 1 1/2 to 2 hours before serving.
18. Serve with brandy butter or sauce of your choice.
The Village Kitchen