FRIED STRIPS OF BREAST OF LAMB
A tasty recipe for your Spring lamb.
Start this dish the day before you want to eat it. Buy a large breast of lamb - it has more meat on it. The stock will make a good soup or even a small stew for another time. It serves 2.
1 large breast of lamb
1 small carrot or piece of turnip or parsnip
1 piece of celery if you have it
Salt & pepper
1 beaten egg
50 g / 2 oz breadcrumbs
1. Put lamb in a saucepan
2. Peel onion and chop coarsely. Scrub the other vegetables and cut them up.
3. Add vegetables to pan with salt and pepper and cover with water.
4. Bring to the boil and simmer for about two hours until meat is tender. Or pressure cook with 300 ml / 1/2 pint of water for 30 minutes.
5. Take meat out of liquid and put both aside to cool.
6. Next day, or when quite cold, cut bones and lumps of fat out of meat and cut lean meat into even-sized strips of about 5 cm / 2 ins long.
7. Dip slices of meat into beaten egg and coat in breadcrumbs.
8. Lift the dripping of the pan of stock and melt a little in the frying pan.
9. Fry the strips of lamb gently until golden and warmed through.
Serve with a sweet and sour sauce.