CRISPY PORK AND APPLE PIE
Yet another mouth-watering recipe from the Village kitchen
450 g / 1 lb thin slices of belly pork
450 g / 1 lb onions
1 carrot, 1 parsnip, 1 stick of celery or
50 g / 2 oz mixed dried vegetables
1 tomato (optional)
675 g / 1 1/2 to 2 lb potatoes
1 large cooking apple
Salt & pepper
600 ml / 1 pint good stock
50 g / 2 oz fresh wholemeal or white bread crumbs
1 tablespoon mixed herbs
1 tablespoon of milk
1. Remove rinds from pork slices
2. Peel onions and slice into rings.
3. Scrub and finely slice carrot, parsnip and celery - if used.
4. Remove skin and seeds from tomato and chop it small.
5. Peel potatoes and cut into slices.
6. Peel and core apple and cut into rings.
7. Line bottom of fairly shallow pie-dish with half of the potatoes.
8. Mix onion and apple rings together and lay them evenly on top of the
9. Mix the carrot and parsnip slices and lay these in the dish, or add mixed dried vegetables.
10. Add chopped tomato.
11. Cover with rest of the vegetables.
12. Season to taste with salt and pepper and sprinkle with a pinch of mixed herbs. Pour in the stock.
13. Mix rest of the herbs into the bread crumbs.
14. Beat egg with milk.
15. Coat each pork slice with egg mixture and then herb and breadcrumb
16. Lay pork on top of the potatoes.
17. Cook in moderately hot oven, Gas 5, 375 degrees F, 190 degrees C for 1/2 hour. reduce temperature to slow, Gas 2, 300 degrees F,150 degrees C for 1 hour or until potatoes are cooked.
The pork will be brown and crisp. The herbs and vegetable absorb the fatty taste which so many people dislike in belly pork.
The Village Kitchen