Lincolnshire Potato Cheesecake
Another mouth watering recipe from the Village Kitchen
Serves 4 to 6
First put on the potatoes, for the filling, and while they are cooking, make the pastry.
175 g/6 oz soft plain flour
40 g/1 1/2 oz/ butter or margarine
40 g/1 1/2 lard
3 brimming dessertspoons water
1. Rub fats into flour and salt until like fine breadcrumbs.
2. Mix to a firm dough with the water. Do not be tempted to add more water.
3. Knead lightly until smooth and basin become clean.
4. Roll out on floured board.
5. Line a 20 cm/8 inch flan ring on a baking tray.
6. Prick base of flan and leave to rest while mixing the filling.
225 g/8 oz hot, cooked potatoes (steamed or pressure cooked are best.)
Pinch of nutmeg (optional)
125 g/ 4 oz softened butter
125 g/ 4 oz caster sugar
2 eggs - well beaten
Grated rind and juice of 1 medium-sized lemon
1. Sieve hot potatoes with salt and nutmeg if used.
2. Add butter, sugar, eggs, grated rind and lemon juice. Beat thoroughly together.
3. Fill flan case almost to the top.
4. Bake on middle shelf of a moderately hot oven, Gas Mark 6, 400 degreesF, 200 degreesC, for 15 minutes.
5. Remove flan ring and bake for further 10 minutes until filling is set and browning on top.
The Village Kitchen