Traditional Sussex Bacon Pudding
Try this for supper on a cold autumn night!
125 g / 4 oz whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
50 g / 2 oz shredded suet
1 onion, finely chopped
3 to 4 rashers of streaky bacon - chopped
1 teaspoon mixed fresh herbs or 1/2 teaspoon dried
Pepper and a little salt
1 medium to small egg
Milk if necessary
1. Mix together flour, baking powder, suet, onion, bacon, herbs and seasoning.
2. Mix with egg, adding milk if necessary to make a soft consistency.
3. Grease a 600 ml / 1 pint basin and put in a piece of greaseproof paper just to cover the bottom.
4. Put pudding mixture in the basin. Cover with greaseproof paper and foil, tucked in neatly under the rim.
5. Steam for 1 1/2 hours. If you haven't got a steamer, stand the basin on a trivet or up-turned saucer in a pan of boiling water. Put on lid and boil for 1 1/2 hours, replenishing with boiling water as necessary. Do NOT let the water go off the boil.
Serve with parsley sauce
The Village Kitchen