This recipe first originated in Australia and was named after the Russian ballerina Anna Pavlova.
225 g / 8 oz caster sugar
1 level teaspoon cornflour
1 teaspoon vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
300 ml / 8 oz double or whipping cream
Juice of one lemon
Passion fruit pulp (optional)
1. Grease thoroughly a large, flat, round or oval heat-proof dish or tart plate.
2. Beat egg-whites until stiff, but take care not to over-beat them as the meringue will be dry and crumbly.
3. Gradually beat in sugar.
4. Mix cornflour, vinegar and vanilla and fold in.
5. Spread mixture 2.5 cm / 1 inch thick on prepared plate, forming a raised edge that will contain the filling.
6. Bake in a very slow oven, Gas 1/2, 250 degreesF, 120 degreesC, for 1 hour. Switch off heat and leave Pavlova in oven overnight to dry out.
7. Fill with whipped cream.
8. Top with fresh strawberries well sprinkled with lemon juice to prevent discolouration. If you can get passion fruit, mix it with the lemon juice.
The Village Kitchen