Plant Pot Cheesecake
Try this novel cooking method to make a delicious cheesecake
For this you need a clay plant pot, `13.5 cms / 5 inches diameter at top. If you are starting with a new plant pot, bake it in a moderate oven, Gas 4 350 degreesF, 180 degreesC, for 15 minutes. It can then be made for this pudding or for baking bread.
50 g / 2 oz maraschino cherries
50 g / 2 oz mixed peel
50 g / 2 oz blanched almonds
50 g / 2 oz seedless raisins
Finely grated rind of 1/2 lemon
Finely grated rind of 1/2 orange
1 tablespoon of dry sherry
325 g / 12 oz cottage cheese
125 g / 4 oz cream cheese
125 g / 4 oz caster sugar
125 ml / 4 fl oz double cream
1 1/2 tablespoons orange juice
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 level tablespoons powdered gelatine
125 ml / 4 fl oz carton double cream
A few maraschino cherries
A few orange and lemon slices
1. Finely chop cherries, mixed peel, almonds and raisins (liquidiser can be used) and transfer to a small basin.
2. Stir in grated lemon and orange rind, cover with sherry and leave until sherry is absorbed.
3. In another bowl, mix cottage cheese and cream cheese together and beat in sugar.
4. Beat cream until thick and fold into cheese with the fruit and nut mixture.
5. Pur orange and lemon juice in a small heat proof bowl and sprinkle the gelatine over it. Leave until gelatine is spongy. Place bowl in a pan of hot water and stir over a low heat until gelatine has dissolved. Remove from heat and leave to cool slightly, about 20 minutes. Fold into cheese mixture.
6. Line a 12.5 cm / 5 inch clay pot with a large piece of muslin or a clean tea towel, spoon in cheese mixture and fold cloth over the top.
7. Cover with a saucer which will just fit inside top of pot, place weights on top (1.5 kg / 3 lb is enough). Stand pot in a dish and chill in a refrigerator over-night.
8. The next day, remove the weights and saucer, unfold the cloth. Place a serving dish over the pot and turn cheesecake out. Remove the cloth.
9. Whip cream for decoration and pipe over the cheesecake. Decorate with halved maraschino cherries and orange and lemon slices.
The Village Kitchen