A continental dish for you to savour; go on, give it a go!
A Swiss dish - serves 4 to 5
2 medium sized potatoes
225 g/ 8 oz brown or white macaroni
2 small onions
50 g/ 2 oz butter
150 ml/ 1/4 pint milk
125 g/ 4 oz grated cheese
1. Peel and cut potato into roughly even-sized pieces, about the size of a walnut.
2. Put potato into a pan of boiling, salted water and boil for 3 minutes.
3. Add macaroni and boil for a further 7 to 10 minutes.
4. While this is boiling, peel and slice onions and fry in butter until golden brown. Drain onions, leaving butter in the frying pan.
5. Drain potatoes and macaroni and place in layers with the cheese in a warm serving dish.
6. Place onions on top.
7. Pour milk into frying pan and bring to the boil. Pour it over the onions and serve immediately.
The Village Kitchen