Lamb & Lentil Hot-Pot
Try this delicious lamb recipe...
125 g / 4 oz lentils
2 medium-sized onions
450 g / 1 lb carrots
675 g / 1 1/2 lb middle neck of lamb
1 level tablespoon plain flour
40 g / 1 1/2 oz lard
2 beef stock cubes
1 tablespoon Salt & Pepper mix
Sprig of fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary well crushed, or thyme.
1. Place lentils in a basin, cover with boiling water; leave for one hour then drain, reserving the water.
2. Peel and chop onions.
3. Scrub and thinly slice carrots.
4. Trim excess fate from meat.
5. Put flour on a plate or in a clean bag and thoroughly coat the meat.
6. Melt half the lard in a large frying pan. Fry onions and carrots for 3 minutes. Lift them out into a casserole, saving fat in pan.
7. Add remaining lard to pan and put in floured meat to fry until brown on both sides. Add to casserole.
8. Crumble the beef stock cubes into the casserole.
9. Make the lentil water up to 600 ml / 1 pint with fresh cold water and pour this over the casserole contents. Add salt, pepper and rosemary or thyme.
10. Cover casserole and cook in centre of moderate oven: Gas 4, 350 degreesF, 180 degreesC for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours until meat is tender.
Serve with a lightly-cooked green vegetable.
The Village Kitchen