Fried Strips of Breast of Lamb
Another mouth watering offering from our kitchen
Start this dish the day before you want to eat it. Buy a large breast of lamb - it has more meat on it. The stock will make a good soup or even a small stew for another time.
1 large breast of lamb
1 small carrot or piece of turnip or parsnip
1 piece of celery if you have it
Salt and pepper
1 beaten egg
50 g / 2 oz breadcrumbs
1. Put lamb into a saucepan.
2. Peel onion and chop coarsely. Scrub the other vegetables and cut them up.
3. Add vegetables to pan with salt and pepper and cover with water.
4. Bring to the boil and simmer for about 2 hours until meat is tender or pressure cook with 300 ml / 1/2 pint of water for 30 minutes.
5. Take the meat out of the liquid and put both aside to cool.
6. Next day, or when quite cold, cut bones and lumps of fat out of meat and cut lean meat into even-sized strips about 5 cm / 2 inches long.
7. Dip slices of meat into beaten egg and coat with breadcrumbs.
8. Lift the dripping of the pan of stock and melt a little in the frying pan.
9. Fry strips of breast of lamb gently 'till golden brown and warmed through.
Serve with a sweet and sour sauce made as follows:
50 g / 2 oz chopped pineapple or 2 tablespoons of pineapple jam
50 g / 2 oz finely chopped onion
1 tablespoon of vinegar
1 heaped tablespoon of sugar
1/2 tablespoon tomato puree or ketchup
1 dessertspoon cornflour
2 teaspoons soya sauce
300 ml / 1/2 pint water
2 teaspoons oil
1. Prepare pineapple and onion
2. Blend together vinegar, sugar, tomato puree, cornflour, soya sauce, in a small pan, and stir in water.
3. Cook over a low heat until thick.
4. Stir in the oil, pineapple and onion and cook for 5 minutes more.