Try this delightful recipe from our local chef
50g / 2oz dried peas
50g / 2oz barley
2.8 litres / 5 pints of cold water
675g / 1 1/2 lb piece of beef or lamb, tied with string
125g / 4 oz diced turnip
225g / 4oz diced carrots
125g / 2oz chopped cabbage
2 whole leeks, chopped
Extra carrot and turnip cut in chunks to serve with boiled meat
1 tablespoon of chopped parsley
Salt and pepper
1. Wash and soak dried peas overnight.
2. Put peas and barley on to cook in a large pan with the water.
3. Tie meat with string so that it can be carved as a joint. Put it into the pan when the water is hot.
4. Add diced and chopped vegetables. Put lid on the pan.
5. Cook steadily for about 2 hours.
6. 30 minutes before the soup is to be served add the extra vegetables.
7. When the meat and vegetables are cooked, lift out the meat and remove the string. Lift out vegetables and keep hot.
8. Add salt and pepper to soup as required. Add parsley and serve.