Another delicious recipe from the village kitchen
Can be eaten hot or cold
225g / 8oz streaky bacon
225g / 8oz minced beef
1 large onion
1 clove of garlic
75g / 3oz rolled oats
1 tablespoon Worcester sauce
1 teaspoon of made mustard
1 teaspoon Salt & Pepper mix
1 beaten egg
150ml / 1/4 pint of stock
1. De-rind bacon and cut into strips. Skin and chop onion, crush garlic to a cream with a little salt. Mix well with minced beef; mince this mixture well using fine cutters.
2. Add oats, sauce, mustard and salt and pepper mix. Mix in beaten egg and add a little stock if mixture is dry.
3. Grease 1/2 kg / 1 lb loaf tin and press mixture in firmly.
4. Cover with foil. Stand in a small roasting tin containing enough water to come well up the sides of the loaf tin.
5. Cook in a moderate oven, Gas 4, 350 degreesF, 180 degreesC for 2 hours.
6. Remove from tin, smother with fried onion rings and serve with tomato or brown sauce and jacket potatoes.
To eat cold:
1. Do not remove from tin but pour in at once as much boiling stock as it will absorb, pressing mixture gently with back of a spoon.
2. Cover with foil and place a weight on top. Leave over night in a cool place.
3. Turn out of mould, roll in dried bread crumbs and serve sliced with potato salad.