River Wissey Lovell Fuller

What you need to know about adult protection

November 2003

Sound advice to protect the vulnerable adults in out midst.

What you need to know about Adult Protection

Who is a vulnerable adult?

Many people associate adult abuse with frail, older people. These are often vulnerable but anyone over the age of 18 who has a physical or learning disability or a mental health problem may be unable to protect themselves from abuse or harm.

What is abuse?

Abuse is any behaviour towards a person that causes him or her harm, endangers life or violates their rights. It can happen to men or women. Abuse might be:

Physical - shaking or slapping someone

Sexual - any sexual activity that the person does not want, understand or agree to

Psychological - threats of harm or abandonment or humiliation, intimidation or verbal abuse

Financial - stealing someone's money or denying them access to their money or possessions

Neglect - ignoring someone's medical or care needs, or withholding food

Discriminatory - racist or sexist abuse or behaviour

Who may be abused or at risk?

* Any vulnerable adult can be at risk of abuse or harm;

* People can be abused in their own homes, in care homes, care homes with nursing, in day centres, at work, in hospitals, police stations and in public places.

Who may be an abuser?

* A partner, child or other relative, or another household member

* A friend or neighbour

* A volunteer worker

* A health or social worker

* A member of staff in a care home, with or without nursing, or sheltered housing scheme

* Another vulnerable adult

* Anyone else with access to the person concerned

What should I do?

If you feel that you are being abused or know a person you believe is at risk then it is important that you tell someone. You can contact any one of the agencies listed below. They will take your concerns seriously and they will be able to offer you help and support.

Looking after a vulnerable adult can be difficult. Carers can feel isolated and stressed. If you are worried that you might harm the person you are caring for it is important that you talk to someone. You can contact any of the agencies listed below and they will be able to offer you help and support.

Staff members who work with vulnerable adults may be worried about the consequences of reporting abuse. It is important that you tell someone what is happening. The person concerned may not be able to report the abuse themselves and may rely on you to voice your concerns. You will be offered advice and support by the agencies listed below.

Who can I contact?

Social services

East Dereham ( 01362 694711

Great Yarmouth ( 01493 850317

King's Lynn ( 01553 669300

North Walsham ( 01692 500550

Norwich ( 01603 223500/760376

Thetford ( 01842 754484

Out of hours Emergency Duty Team ( 01603 614022


Norwich ( 01603 472416

Swaffham ( 01760 720703

Gorleston ( 01493 333199

Main Switchboard ( 01953 424242

Emergency ( 999

National Care Standards Commission ( 01603 598700

National Organisations

Action on Elder Abuse ( 0808 808 8141 [10a.m. - 4.30 p.m.]

Public Concern at Work ( 0207 404 6609 [9a.m. - 6p.m.]

The Relatives Association ( 0207 916 6055 [10a.m. - 5p.m.]

Carers UK ( 0808 808 777 [10a.m. - noon; 2p.m.- 4p.m.]

Norfolk Carers Helpline ( 0808 808 9876 [24 hours a day]

Norfolk County Council

Copyright remains with independent content providers where specified, including but not limited to Village Pump contributors. All rights reserved.