Apple & Almond Dessert Cake
A mouth watering recipe for all to try this autumn
Apple and Almond Dessert Cake
8 oz (225 g) self-raising flour
1 1/2 level teaspoons of baking powder
8 oz (225 g) caster sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon almond essence
5 oz (150 g) margarine, melted
1 lb (450 g) cooking apples, peeled, cored and sliced
1 oz (25 g) flaked almonds
1. Heat the oven to 325 degreesF / 160 degreesC/ Gas Mark 3.
2. Line an 8 inch (20 cm) loose-bottomed cake tin with greaseproof paper.
3. Put the flour and baking powder in a bowl with the sugar.
4. Beat the eggs and essence together and stir them into the flour, together with the margarine and mix well.
5. Spread half this mixture into the tin.
6. Arrange the apples on the cake mixture, then spoon the remaining mixture in blobs over the top of the apples.
7. Sprinkle with almonds.
8. Bake in the oven for 1 1/2 hours until golden brown and shrinking away from the sides of the tin.
9. Leave to cool for 15 minutes, and then turn out.
Serve warm with cream or custard.