Recipies for tomato and rice salad
4 ripe tomatoes
Salt to taste
2 fresh green chilli's
3 tablespoons sugar
Juice of 2 lemons
1. Slice the tomatoes and arrange in a serving platter. Sprinkle with a little salt.
2. Slice the green chilli's slantwise into elongated rings and arrange over the tomato slices.
3. Sprinkle with sugar and lemon juice and allow to stand for an hour or two before serving.
50g/ 2 oz cashew nut pieces, toasted
325g/ 12 oz cooked brown rice or 150g/ 5 oz uncooked
50g/ 2 oz raisins
50g/ 2 oz beansprouts
Half a red pepper
1 dessert apple
2 tablespoons apple juice
1 tablespoon sunflower oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon shoyu (fermentation of soya beans and wheat, not dissimilar to commercial soya sauce)
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
Salt and pepper
1. Cashew nut pieces are cheaper than whole nuts. Toasting them under a moderately hot grill until just turning golden makes them crisp and fresh.
2. Mix salad ingredients, except lettuce and apple.
3. Mix dressing ingredients. Beat well. Mix into salad.
4. Serve on a bed of lettuce, garnished at last minute with apple slices.