The Village Kitchen
Recipies for Sausage in sweet and sour sauce and Apple-Nut-Ring
450g / 1lb sausages
15g / 1/2 oz margarine
For the sauce:
25g / 1 oz margarine
1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
1 large stick of celery, finely sliced
1 medium sized carrot cut into matchstick pieces
1 large, finely diced apple
300ml / 1/2 pint of light stock
1-heaped teaspoon of cornflour
1/2 teaspoon of dry mustard
1 teaspoon of salt and pepper mix
1 heaped teaspoon of Demerara sugar
2 teaspoons of Worcester sauce
Rice or mashed potato
1. Start with the sauce. Melt margarine in saucepan, gently fry onion, celery, carrot and apple to soften.
2. Add stock.
3. Mix cornflour, mustard, salt and pepper mix, sugar and Worcester sauce with just enough water to blend.
4. Stir this mixture into pan of vegetables and bring to the boil,. Simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, fry the sausages in 15g / 1/2 oz of margarine until nicely brown. Drain away the fat.
6. Pour sauce over the sausages, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. A little water can be added if the mixture becomes too thick. Re-season to taste.
7. Serve on a bed of rice or piped potato.
Do you fancy a typical German cake for tea? Then try this recipe from Bavaria.
75g mixed nuts
2 cooking apples
2 teaspoons vanilla sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 litre oil
2 teaspoons baking powder
200g icing sugar
5-7 tablespoons rum
1. Roughly chop nuts and almonds and mix together. Thinly slice apples and mix with the raisins.
2. Beat together eggs, sugar, vanilla sugar and cinnamon. Drizzle oil into the mix whilst beating well.
3. Mix flour with baking powder and stir into the egg creme. Gently mix the apple-raisin mixture and 75g of the nuts with the dough using a fork.
4. Butter a ring form (cake tin) and sprinkle with bread-crumbs, then spoon the mixture into the tin. Bake at 150 - 175 degrees Celsius until done.
Icing: Mix icing sugar with rum and pour over cold cake. Finally sprinkle cake with remaining nuts.