Poultry, Game and Rabbit
225 grams / 8 oz chicken pieces, breast, wings or legs
1 beaten egg
1 to 2 tablespoons dried breadcrumbs
20 grams / 3/4 oz butter
20 grams / 3/4 oz lard
2 tablespoons of oil
2 tablespoons of white wine or cider or lemon juice
1 large teaspoon of finely chopped fresh tarragon or 1/2 teaspoon of dried
A clove of garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon of dry mustard
150 ml / 1/4 pint chicken stock
1 teaspoon cornflour
1 tablespoon water
Salt and pepper
1. Remove skin from chicken
2. Mix marinade ingredients
3. Lay chicken pieces on a flat dish. Pour marinade over the chicken and leave for 2 or 3 hours. If you like tarragon flavour, leave overnight
4. Remove chicken and pat dry. Save marinade for the sauce.
5. Dip chicken pieces in beaten egg and then in breadcrumbs.
6. Heat butter and lard and fry chicken until crisp. Brown and cooked.
7. Meanwhile, make sauce. Put marinade in pan with chicken stock.
8. Slake cornflour in water and add to pan. Bring to boil, stirring as sauce thickens. Simmer for 2 or 3 minutes and season to taste.
9. Put chicken on a warm dish. Serve sauce separately.
Delicious with cold yoghurt and Tahini Dip, Serves 3
6 chicken wings, thighs or legs
50grams / 2 oz melted butter
2 tablespoons oil
2 teaspoons soya sauce
A little clear honey
1. Preheat grill to high
2. Trim chicken, but leave skin on
3. Mix butter, oil and soya sauce and brush this all over the chicken. Put under grill.
4. Turn grill down to moderate heat and cook chicken for 15 minutes, turning several times
5. Brush with any remaining oil mixture. Smear each wing with honey and sprinkle with salt.
6. Return to grill for a further 10 minutes until cooked and the skin is dark brown and crisp.