A tasty recipe to help with all those Christmas dinner left-overs
125g / 12 oz cold, cooked turkey or chicken (in bite size pieces)
1 rasher of bacon
50g / 2oz fresh brown breadcrumbs
Salt & pepper
1 egg yolk
1 beaten egg
Dried breadcrumbs to coat the rissoles
Deep fat or oil to fry
1. Prepare chicken
2. De-rind bacon, fry until crisp then crush into small pieces
3. Mix chicken, bacon and fresh breadcrumbs with egg yolk to bind together. Season with salt and pepper.
4. With floured hands, shape mixture into short, fat, sausages. Leave aside to firm up.
5. Dip rissoles into beaten egg, then in breadcrumbs. Leave aside to firm up.
6. Heat fat or oil until really smoking. Fry rissoles until golden. Drain on kitchen paper.
Alternatively, use cold, cooked ham to make your rissoles. Ingredient as for chicken but with 125g / 12oz ham instead of chicken and add a teaspoon of chopped fresh parsley.
1. Mix ham, fresh breadcrumbs and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Bind mixture with egg yolk.
3. With floured hands, shape the mixture into short, fat, sausages. Leave in fridge to firm up.
4. Dip sausages in beaten egg, then in dried breadcrumbs. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
5. Heat fat or oil until nearly smoking hot. Fry rissoles until golden brown and crisp. Drain on kitchen paper.
The Village Kitchen